First drawing of 2013!
I've been doing drawings from /r/redditgetsdrawn for a while now (well before it soared into popularity
overnight a few days ago, however hipster-ish that might sound).
It's a pretty good arena that brings
together people who'd like to get drawn and artists who'd like the opportunity to get more practice.
In honors of New Years and of resolutions, I resolve to keep this up and not lapse into long periods of not drawing. Here are the ones I've done in the month of December :
I've done this survey every year for the last, like, 7 years now (as I move from blog-to-blog, and will keep with tradition. I find that it really is a good way of reviewing the past year, especially of all the good things that have happened:
01. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Received my Masters degree diploma. Went para-sailing in Taiwan. Got a job with BENEFITS. Moved in with a BOY. Attend a wedding where the bride and groom are from my peer group. Got my wisdom teeth taken out/was under anesthesia for the first time.
02. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't quite remember, but likely it was to draw more often. Which I think I did. Same resolution for this year, except I'm going to try to quantify it-- try to draw at least 5 drawings/week.
Read more books (tally it up at the end of 2013 on GoodReads).
03. Did someone close to you give birth?
04. Did anyone close to you die?
05. What countries did you visit?
Taiwan, China, South Korea, North Korea (technically...), and Japan.
06. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Um. I don't know, I feel very blessed with the things I already have. Really. I'd like to travel abroad again at least once in 2013. Colin's going to Vienna and Israel for work soon, which I'm pretty jealous about.
07. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
No particular dates, but 2012 has been a very good year.
08. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?
Getting a job that finally has to do with my degree.
09. What was your biggest failure(s)?
Being lazy when I could have been more productive.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Wisdom teeth extraction!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My pentel brush pen. It was like a $3 purchase, but it's totally awesome.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Kat and Spookfish Theater for all their hard work and successes.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and NJ Transit monthly train passes (can you believe those things are more than $400 bucks/month?).
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Asia-trip. SNL with Louis CK!
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2012?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? about the same- happy
ii. thinner or fatter? about the same- pretty healthy!
iii. richer or poorer? despite costly rent/train passes, richer. I was unemployed this time last year!
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Working on personal projects, whether it be drawing or painting, etc.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent the weekend before Christmas up in MA with Colin & his family, and Christmas Eve/Christmas in NY with mine.
21. How will you be spending New Year's?
Bottle of wine, chocolates, potato chips, Colin, Breaking Bad marathon.
22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
23. How many one-night stands?
Well, you know me.
23. Old friends you've seen?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
30 Rock, Breaking Bad, Colbert, Daily Show, Archer, Louie.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
I actually read quite a bit this year. Life of Pi was good (slow start though), Michael Grant's Gone series. Room by Emma Donoghue. The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker was great. Escape from Camp 14 was riveting.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Meh. Not music, but I've discovered NRP and listen to NPR almost non-stop nowadays.
28. What did you want and get?
A pretty awesome library job.
29. What did you want and not get?
Nothing- I'm good.
30. Favorite film of this year?
Argo was great. Django Unchained.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Well, the day before my birthday Colin & I went to an SNL dress rehearsal (Louis CK hosted) and that was an absolutely fantastic surreal experience.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Mmmm. Gah, I don't know. I'm pretty satisfied with the way life is going. More travel?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I hate this question. Louis CK.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election. Civil rights.
37. Who do you miss?
I'm happy about who are in my life.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
All of my new co-workers.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
Save your money, contribute to a retirement fund as early as possible, put money in some investments too.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
This Drive meme never failed to make me laugh: http://anongallery.org/6546/drive